Monday, March 11, 2013

Hi Guys,

My last two weeks have been quite adventurous, it's hard to remember everything (I have a journal, but the whole journaling thing just really isn't "my thing").

Two weeks ago I visited Barcelona. It was AWESOME. Aside from the food poisoning that only permitted me to basically eat saltines and drink 7Up all weekend, a good time was had by all. I visited the Sagrada Familia, and while I am kinda over the whole "visiting churches" thing, there really is nothing like the Sagrada Familia. Beautiful gothic architecture that is rarely found in many places, especially Italy. If you have the chance to visit Barcelona, make sure you check out everything  Gaudi. He is the artist that mostly responsible for all of the city's magnificently beautiful tourist destinations. Park Guell is a must. I'm not one for descriptions, so be sure to see the pictures below. I also was able to attend an FC Barcelona Futbol game. One word, EPIC. It was quite chilly, but the atmosphere and quality of soccer made it all worth it. I ended my trip with some bomb enchiladas and a tasty margarita to make up for the lack of eating I was able to do my first couple days there. If I wasn't studying in Roma, Barcelona would for sure be the next best thing. I also went to the Open Air Market, it puts any and all U.S farmer's markets to shame. So much fresh meat, bread, candy, pastries, it's almost overwhelming. Our hostel was very nice. It was skateboard themed, and all of our roommates were from different countries and none spoke English. It was a great experience that makes me wish the U.S had hostels to offer too.

I caught an early morning flight home from Barcelona to Rome, then went straight to class that same day, but the adventure didn't stop there. I locked my bag shut on the plan with a master-lock  and in the process I managed to accidentally change the passcode of the lock. I had 10 Euro in my pocket and was not about to drop gross amounts of Euro on a locksmith, but I also didn't want to cut my lifesaving Timbuk2 bag open, thus I had a dilemma. Have no fear though, I was able to conquer what they do in the movies. I listend closely to the lock while I twisted each number and boom, yep, I opened it. Just call me a locksmith.

After that adventure, I went to "school" for another few days and hopped on a 12 hour bus ride to Interlaken Switzerland with some of my roomies and friends from my program. The 12 hour trip wasn't too fun, for obvious reasons, but everything about Interlaken was amazing. I went there with the intention to canyon dive (you are attached by a rope, jump of a cliff, and swing through the beautiful Swiss Alps) that unfortunately was canceled due to falling icicles that could potentially impale canyon divers, thus my new activity was to be paragliding. This in no way was "pee your pants, heart attack, adrenaline rush canyon diving" but it was an awesome experience. We flew all over the surrounding mountains and had a great view of the town (see pics below), paragliding is definitely an activity I recommend.

After paragliding we attended a chocolate shore, I mean c'mon, nothing like chocolate in Switzerland, we learned about the whole process of making chocolate, but I was too preoccupied eating the chocolate so I missed most of that lecture. But seriously guys, there's nothing like chocolate in Switzerland, from white to dark, it's all good. Later that night we sought out some schnitzel, you have to eat schnitzel in Switzerland, it's a given. It basically tasted like fried chicken, but it was still mighty tasty. Quick side-note, DO NOT go to Switzerland, especially Interlaken on a budget, it's impossible. A plate of schnitzel cost 35 Franc, so about 37 USD. After our day of paragliding, chocolate, schnitzel fun, we spent the night playing cards for 4 hours at our hostel and called it a night, we were all extremely tired from the bus ride. We woke up the next day and finally found something cheap. We rented bikes for the entire day for only 20 Franc. The Swiss biker dude suggested we ride around the lake, which we had intentions of doing anyways, but our trek took longer than expected. With some occasional wrong turns, we ended up biking about 30 miles in a 3 hour span. I also was not in appropriate attire; jeans, toms, a sweater, not ideal for biking. 3 hours later after we conquered the lake tour I felt like Lance Armstrong, minus the drugs and tight bike outfit. That night we hit up a place called Little Thai. I know what you're thinking, "Thai food in Switzerland?" well at least that's what I thought. But yes, apparently parts of Switzerland are known for having great little Thai spots and we found quite a gem. BEST PAD THAI EVER, and that is not an understatement. I have to stop thinking about it or else I get upset that I can't have it anymore.

The next afternoon we hopped back on the bus for our 12 hour trek home. We made it to the rome transportation station around 2am where we played some casual soccer with some taxi drivers who kindly brought us back to our apartment later on. Check out the pictures below (Barcelona first, Interlaken second).

                                         FC Barcelona Soccer Game
                                                    Park Guell

                                                     Park Guell
                                                     Park Guell
                                         Candy on candy on candy
                                                   Paragliding
                                         Paragliding (most intense selfies ever taken, in the history of selfies)
                                                   Chocolate Show
                                                    Selfie biking fun
                                         Swiss Alps and Lake
           


Miss you all family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment