Thursday, February 21, 2013

Hola Amigos,

I'm speaking Spanish because I was just prepping for my weekend trip to Barcelona, but before we head there, let me update you on my first week in Roma.

Wowza. Rome>Florence. It's bigger, more lively, and the size and population make it much harder to run into any Americans or other English speaking know it all tourists (too harsh?). We started classes last Monday, it was an exciting first day, but lets be real, school is pretty universal, sitting in a classroom for an hour and forty minutes per class is only slightly more exciting in Rome than in the States. We live in a cute area, Trastevere, which translates to "the other side of the tiber." Our neighborhood is very lively, lots of restaurants, bars, and boutiques. I had the pleasure of running along the Tiber River last week. It was not all it seems though, mostly reeks of pee, dog poop, and is the camp ground of many roaming Romans. The parks here however are nothing short of beautiful and have been my designated workout spots.

Our school is about a fifteen minute walk from our apartment, it took me about a week to learn that the Argentina ruins we walk by EVERYDAY were where Caesar was stabbed by Brutus 23 times, cool right? Lizzie McGuire has been blasting in our apartment every afternoon and evening, I can't decide if that will get old or not, but hey why not (get it?)? My blog humor is lacking, I will be sure to keep working on it. Speaking of Lizzie McGuire, I made my wishes at the Trevi Fountain on Valentine's Day, but my wish will forever be secret.

Obviously I have done plenty of touristy things while I have been here, climbed the Spanish Steps, I spent an evening at Vatican City, attempting to see the Pope give his last Ash Wednesday Mass, not because I am a big Pope supporter, but hey why not try and witness some history? Long story short, I didn't get in. I also made a trek to the Colosseum and took plenty of touristy pictures and selfies (see below). While looking for a gelateria that has over 150 different flavors of gelato, I stumbled upon the Pantheon, I got kit-kat, chocolate amaretto, and bigne flavored gelato, then took my tourist shots of the Pantheon.

I had the awesome opportunity to attend the Roma soccer game last Saturday. They played the number one team in the Italian League, and won! The atmosphere was unlike anything I have seen. There was a "fire" section, where lucky fans could literally set things on fire, but don't worry, there were firefighters to put out the flames. The soccer game put American football to shame. The crowd and the atmosphere that it created were truly spectacular and I was very lucky to be a part of it.

This weekend I head to Barcelona, to give the Sagrada Familia a looksie and compare it to the wonders I have seen by Brunelleschi, Leonardo and Michelangelo, oh and to eat and drink of course.

Here are some pictures to recap what I have been up to, and for my Facebook friends, an album titled Ugly, Ridiculous Selfies will be published shortly.


Hope all is well friends and family.

Buonasera.

                                       My new friend Alessia, before we got denied to see the Pope
                                                        Becky and I at the Trevi Fountain
                                               The Spanish Steps
                                                Pantheon, post Gelato of course
                                                  Selfie outside of the Colosseum
                                                      Some Roma soccer fun



No comments:

Post a Comment