Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ciao

I am in Firenze (Italian for Florence)! It is beautiful here. I have been out of the states for about a week now. I was able to spend two days in London sightseeing and then hopped on a plane to Florence. I feel like I have been gone for months, we have done so much in such little time. Coming across Brunelleschi's Duomo on a daily basis has become the norm, Palazzo Vecchio has become the new place to grab some pizza, wine, and people watch. I have had the opporutnity to do such wonderful things already and see such amazing sights. According to my program director, I am currently in the "honeymoon phase," of the culture shock that I am  experiencing. Based on my environment, the new friends I am making, the Italian I am slowly, but surely learning, the honeymoon phase won't be coming to an end any time soon.

Down to the good stuff though. I had gelato the other day, it was called Affogato, which literally means "drowning." This intricate sounding ice cream dish is a scoop of your choice of gelato with dark hot chocolate poured over it, so the gelato melts as you eat it. For the chocolate lovers, this is something that you cannot miss out on. I also learned a few favorite dishes of the Firenze citizens, most popular, a sandwich on white bread that consists of a cows 4th stomach; not exactly enticing fo rmy palet, but I can tell you I will be trying it soon enough. Our lovely local tour guide, recommended a few pizza joints for Becky and I to try out. We tried a cute little hole in the wall place, the owner is a nice little man from Naples. BEST pizza ever, and no I am not just saying that because I am in Italy, but sidenote, the food, coffee, and pretty much everything is tastier and better when some nice Italian serves you.

Moving on to the logistical things, if you can even call it that. Everyday has been go go go, nonstop, 14 hour days. We spend two weeks here in Florence, then head to Rome and move into our student apartments. Here in Florence we take a two week "intensive" Italian Language and Culture course, 9am-1:30pm Monday-Friday. Believe it or not, it is actually fun to go to class. After class we have more adventures. Our program provides us with daily activites that are usually free or very cheap. Today I was able to explore the Medici Palace and wander through the secret passageways created by Cosimo and his son. Tomorrow I am heading to Pisa to see the leaning tower and a cathedral (basically the only things that exist there). Friday I will be heading to Venice, next week we have wine tastings, Uffizi Gallery visits, and a 450 step climb to the top of the Duomo. Hey coach Bell, hows that for off season training?

That is all for, this might be the most disorganized piece of writing I have ever written, oh well, who has time to write when you are in Florence (and when the internet is the speed of a snail). I have much more to say, perhaps I will save it for a later post, or most likely I'll just forget it. Miss you all. I will drink plenty of Tuscan Reds and load my body with carbs on carbs on carbs.

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment